- Preparation 35 minutes
- For 6 people
- Cooking time 40 minutes approx
- 3 lemons
- 50 g butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 eggs
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1 shortbread dough
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 4 egg white
- 100 g icing sugar
Preparation of the cream
- Slide a shortbread dough into a round pan.
- Rinse the lemons and finely remove the zest.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemons.
- Gently melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Dissolve (mix) the cornstarch with a tablespoon of water.
- Break the eggs into a bowl, add the sugar and whisk vigorously until the mixture whitens.
- Stir in the cornstarch, butter, lemon juice and zest and mix.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F.
- Pour the cream into the bottom of the dough.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the edges of the tart are golden brown and the cream is set.
- Take the tart out of the oven and leave to cool.
Preparation of the meringue
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and then add the icing sugar at the last moment.
- Mix gently so as not to break them.
Preparation of the pie
- Turn on the oven grill.
- Spread the meringue over the cold pie, spreading it well all over.
- With a spatula, uncover the pie with the tines of a fork.
- Slide the pie 3 or 4 times under the grill until it takes on a nice golden colour.
- Take the tart out of the oven, unmould it immediately and place it on a dish to cool.
Serve the pie cold.
If you run out of time, use a store-bought sponge cake.